A buyer's guide to RIB insurance

Deciding on the level of insurance you require for your craft and which insurer to opt for can seem daunting and overwhelming, but this doesn’t have to be the case. That’s why we’ve broken it down to the most common questions we’ve received when it comes to purchasing rigid inflatable boat (RIB) insurance, so you can make an informed choice on what is best for you.

Do I need RIB insurance?

Whilst you aren’t required to have boat insurance in the UK for long distance cruises at sea, if you intend to navigate any inland waterways, you will need to have boat insurance. RIB insurance ensures you’re covered for any eventuality, including personal property, accidental damage or theft so you’ll know your vessel is safe on and off the water. Most council and commercial slipways will require third party liability cover as a minimum. 

What am I covered for?

  • Accidental damage or loss (due to fire, explosions, collisions, stranding, grounding, third party acts, heavy weather)
  • Theft of your craft, tender or trailer
  • Payment of insured value for constructive total loss
  • Personal property when on-board or used in connection with the craft
  • Third-party liability up to £5,000,000

What are the benefits of RIB insurance?

RIB insurance will give you peace of mind so that you can enjoy your boating adventures without worry. By purchasing insurance with GJW Direct, you’ll benefit from 30 days European (EEA) cover, water skier cover, as well as trailer and transit cover.

An additional bonus when insuring your RIB with GJW Direct is the free digital boat management system, MyBoat, granting exclusive access to discounts and offers with a whole host of recognised marine brands. This includes brands such as Sailing Chandlery and Spinlock.


What are the exclusions to my insurance?

Common exclusions include:

  • Damage or loss caused by a lack of general maintenance, wear and tear or depreciation.
  • The cost of rectifying faults in design or construction or items suffering from a latent defect.
  • Damage or loss as a result of war, civil disturbance or terrorism
  • Damage or loss caused by insects, marine borers, marine growth and molluscs.
  • Your craft when left unattended on a trailer unless properly secured
  • Fishing gear, diving gear, cash, credit cards, jewellery or mobile phones or other personal digital equipment.

What are my obligations?

These will vary depending on your insurance provider, but general obligations include:

  • Ensuring your RIB is kept in good working order and undergoes regular maintenance.
  • Keeping your insurer up-to-date with changes to your personal information or make any adaptations to your vessel.
  • Reporting incidents, accidents or potential claims as soon as possible.
  • Informing your insurer if you sell or otherwise dispose of the craft.
  • Make the required scheduled payments.
  • Ensuring that the minimum required number of crew are aboard when the craft is underway.

Where can I buy RIB insurance?

If you’re in the market for RIB insurance, here at GJW Direct, we offer a comprehensive insurance policy for your vessel, completely hassle free. We’ve been specialising in marine insurance for over 190 years so you can rest assured you’re in safe hands with us. Visit our website to discover the full range of benefits you’ll receive as a GJW Direct policy holder and you can even get a quote with us in minutes.


Are you looking for first-time insurance or thinking of switching insurers? Get a quote for RIB insurance with us in minutes and you can even purchase online.

New call-to-action

Header Image Source: RIBeye

Related Articles

RIB Maintenance guide 101

Apr 25, 2021

Performing regular maintenance on your vessel can help you to avoid the disappointment of your bo...

Topics- RIB

Choosing The Best Rigid Inflatable Boat For You

Apr 6, 2021

Topics- GJW Direct, RIB, Tips, Buying Tips